Tonight I set out to experiment a little bit with my muffin-making. I had bananas to use up so I knew they had to be involved, and I have been dying to use applesauce (couldn’t tell you why). So I started with a search and found a base recipe on GIG’s website (gluten intolerance group). I mixed and changed and added a little bit to make it with just the ingredients I felt like it. Miraculously – they turned out beautifully! Here’s the recipe – Enjoy!
Gluten Free Apple & Banana Muffins
1/2 cup all purpose gluten free flour blend ( I used Pamela’s)
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp flax seeds
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup soy milk
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 peeled and finely chopped granny smith apple
3 tbsp brown sugar + 1 tbsp melted butter + 1 tbsp cinnamon for topping.
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees
2. Mix your dry ingredients
3. In a separate bowl mix your remaining ingredients.
4. Mix the 2 bowls together.
5. Pour into lined or greased muffin tins (makes 12 muffins)
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes @ 375 degrees.
7. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
8. Spread your sugar/cinnamon/butter mixture on top if you want a special indulgent treat. These also taste great without the topping.